IAFF LOCAL 3106
   Orono / Veazie Firefighters
April 26, 2017
IAFF Local Newswire
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Apr. 26 (07:10)
Tom for Dearborn
Dearborn Firefighters Local 412
04.25.17
Passing of Firefighter Peter Torilli
Local 1347
04.25.17
FF Anderson Funeral Information
Colorado Professional Fire Fighters
04.25.17
City of Wichita Contract Offer
IAFF Local 135
04.25.17
Tuesday, April 25, 2017: UPFFA OF CT. GOLF TOURNAMENT Canceled due to Weather
UPFFA
04.25.17
Firehouse Cookoff
IAFF Local 1652
04.25.17
Welcome
 
You are not currently logged in.
Bangor Daily News

    12/3/09

Family dog dies in kitchen fire at Veazie home

 

VEAZIE, Maine — A kitchen fire quickly turned deadly on Wednesday morning when smoke filled a two-story home on Highview Terrace and took the life of Lucy, the homeowner’s dog, that was hiding in a first-floor bedroom, Capt. Pete Metcalf said.

“They tried everything to resuscitate the dog,” he said. “We tried [a dog] oxygen mask. We also had assistance from Veazie Veterinary Clinic,” to no avail.

“It was a well-loved pet, that’s for sure,” the fire captain said. “We’re assuming it was smoke inhalation.”

The home is owned by Patrick Joyce, and his daughter and her friend, age 20 and 21, were asleep on the second floor of the home when thick smoke awoke them around 8:25 a.m. The two friends escaped the building, and called for Lucy, who did not respond.

Town and Orono firefighters quickly arrived and found flames and thick smoke in the kitchen area of the home, Metcalf said. Crews were able to extinguish the flames within 10 minutes and contain it to the kitchen area, he said.

“There was a very quick, very aggressive knockdown,” Metcalf said. “They did a good job.”

Sgt. Tim York of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was accidental.

“It looks like it was the result of a countertop appliance,” he said.

The kitchen had heavy damage from the flames, and the first and second floors have smoke damage, but for the most part it’s all cosmetic, Metcalf said.

“There is no structural damage,” he said. “If you were to drive by, you wouldn’t even be able to tell there was a fire.”

There were no working fire alarms in the home.

“There was one in the basement, but the battery was disconnected,” Metcalf said.

A dozen Veazie firefighters and six from Orono fought the fire. Local crews returned to the station at 2:38 p.m., but “that was after the fire marshals completed their investigation,” he said.

No injuries were reported in fighting the flames.

The two women in the home did have irritated throats, apparently from the smoke, but refused medical care, Metcalf said. In addition to the daughter who was home, Joyce has two children who were at school at the time, he said.

nricker@bangordailynews.net

990-8190


Contact Elected Officials!
Organize Today!
Looking for more information on Organizing your workplace?
Click Here
What's New at IAFF 3106
IAFF Pres. Shaitberger Maine visit

Posted On: Jul 09, 2009 (06:57:08)

Brothers & Sisters,

As you will read below President Shaitberger & VP Mullane will be in the State of Maine. I would like to see a good showing as we don’t often get them into Maine and it is a great opportunity to meet them.

Please let myself (rongreen@pffmaine.org) and DVP Crouse (mcrouse@iaff.org) know if you are planning on attending so he can make final arrangements. The sooner the better as he is trying to wrap things up this week.
 
Ronnie Green Jr.
4th District Vice President
Professional Fire Fighters of Maine-IAFF
(207) 944-5366
Welcome to the new site!

Posted On: May 18, 2009 (10:50:21)


Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up.

Forgot Your Login?
Site Search
Site Map
RSS Feeds
<<  April 2017  >>
S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30
Google
Weather Report
Action Center
Visit Unions-America.com!
 Top of Page © Copyright 2017, IAFF Local 3106, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™
Hide the Right Hand Column